PTD Travel Mini Essay Competition
PTD Mini-Essay Competition
✉ Judy Burr, APSA, MPSA·
Entry Deadline: July 1 (note new date)
Awards will be presented at the PSA Conference
The Travel Photo Mini-Essay competition provides an opportunity for PSA members to develop or explore one theme or subject without the need for software or finding Royalty Free Music, as is required for an Essay.
To enter up to two essays in our Photo Travel Essay Competition (with music, words or special effects, etc.) see the PTD Photo Travel Essay Competition.
NOTE: The winning essays from 2017 as shown here were put into a program for easier viewing and do NOT represent how your entry should be done. Please follow the rules below.
A Digital Photo Mini-Essay is a short show subject to the following rules:
- Up to 20 images (or fewer), including an optional title image, that tell a travel story or explore a travel theme (examples: a location, an event or a culture. The maker’s name or other identifying information may not appear on any image.
- The current Photo Travel Definition should be adhered to.
- The story should be submitted as a group of single images with file names as follows: Maker’s initials-Show Title--image number--i.e. JB-Flowers-01.Format: jpeg, sRGB, 1024 (horizontal) X 768 (vertical), maximum image size 500 KB. The application will show your name and the title of the show.
- A written narration is optional. Any maker who believes it would enhance the story can supply a written script in Word format, with each segment clearly labeled with the image number. Each segment shall consist of words that can be spoken in ten seconds or less. The script must be headed with the show’s title and the maker’s initials. Appropriate text can be shown directly on images if the maker feels that is preferable.
- Images will be projected for judging with straight transitions as the script is read aloud. Images without a script will be displayed for ten seconds each, or fewer if requested by the maker.
- The set of images, optional script and entry form can be emailed, or mailed on a CD, to the Competition Director at the address on the entry form...
- Each entrant may submit up to two (2) entries. No Mini-Essay may be entered that has won an award in any previous Photo Travel essay competition. A specific essay may be submitted to only one PSA division each year. The same essay may be submitted to another division's essay competition in another year.
Entering the Mini-Essay
Best of Show medal will be awarded to the best Mini-Essay. Additional awards will be based on the number of entries. All awards are made at the discretion of the judges.
Award winning entries will receive four (4) acceptance credits and two (2) title credits for Photo Travel stars 1-5 or one title accepted three times for Galaxy levels 1 through 10. No credits towards Diamonds or PSA Who’s Who are given.