PTD Travel Mini Essay Competition
PTD Mini-Essay Competition
Judy Burr, APSA, EPSA
Entry Deadline: August 1
The Travel Photo Mini-Essay competition provides an opportunity for PSA members to develop or explore one theme or subject without the need for software or finding royalty free music, as is required for an essay
To enter a five-minute essay with music, spoken words and/or special effects, see the PTD Essay Competition
A Digital Photo Mini-Essay is a short show subject to the following rules:
Preparing the Images
- Submit up to 20 images (or fewer), including an optional title image, that tell a travel story or explore a travel theme (examples: a location, an event or a culture.
- The maker’s name or other identifying information may not appear on any image.
- The current Photo Travel Definition should be adhered to.
- The story should be submitted as a group of single images with file names as follows: maker's last name-maker's first name-show title-image number, i.e. Jones-Tom-Flowers-01
- Format: jpeg, sRGB, 1024 (horizontal) X 768 (vertical), maximum image size 500 KB
- A written narration is optional. Any maker who believes it would enhance the story can supply a written script in Word format, with each segment clearly labeled with the image number. Each segment shall consist of words that can be spoken in ten seconds or less. The script must be headed with the show’s title and the maker’s name. Appropriate text can be shown directly on images if the maker feels that is preferable.(Note: if a winning mini-essay has a written script, the maker may have to add the words to the relevant image so it can be put on the PSA website.)
- Images will be projected for judging with straight transitions as the script is read aloud. Images without a script will be displayed for ten seconds each, or fewer if requested by the maker.
Entering the Mini-Essay
- The set of images, optional script and entry form can be emailed, or mailed on a CD, to the Competition Director at the address on the entry form..
- Each entrant may submit up to two (2) entries.
- No Mini-Essay may be entered that has won an award in any previous Photo Travel essay competition.
- A specific essay may be submitted to only one PSA division each year. The same essay may be submitted to another division's essay competition in another year.
- Download the entry form: » Photo Travel Mini Essay competition Entry Form - due August 1: Document | pdf (link to Word Doc - clicking this link may place the document in your downloads folder) and either mail or email it in with your entry (post office address given on form)
- Entries are not returned
Awards will be presented at the PSA Conference. Best of Show medal will be awarded to the best Mini-Essay. Additional awards will be based on the number of entries. All awards are made at the discretion of the judges.