PSA Youth Showcase
Youth Showcase Director
✉ Kathleen Z. Braun, HonPSA, PPSA·
||The goal of the PSA Youth Showcase is to involve the Society and its Chapters, clubs, councils, and federations in the promotion and education of photography among young people by highlighting outstanding photographs from high school age students.
The Youth Showcase is open to all students worldwide, ages 14 through 19 and attending high school or its equivalent. The Showcase is an excellent opportunity for eligible students to share their work across all boundaries and receive recognition for their efforts.
Contest opens: October 1, 2019
Entry Deadline: April 16, 2019
SponsorshipAll PSA Chapters, PSA-member camera clubs, and PSA-member councils and federations are encouraged to serve as sponsors for the Youth Showcase. There are no limits on the number of high schools that may be sponsored by a PSA organization, but two participating PSA groups cannot sponsor separate entries from the same high school.
The Youth Showcase is open to all students worldwide, ages 14 through 19 and attending high school or its equivalent. All PSA sponsoring organizations (PSA Chapters, PSA-member clubs, and PSA-member camera club councils and federations) participating in a selection of photographs from high school students are invited to submit entries. Only entries submitted by designated representatives of each PSA Sponsor will be accepted. Each school may have only one PSA Sponsor.
If you are familiar with the rules, go straight to the Youth Showcase Entry Form
For more information on the rules and/or the forms required, please see the information, below.
Select a topic to reveal or hide its contents:
Show All / Hide All
- Categories and their definitions
Entries are limited to sixteen images, eight prints and eight projected images, from any one high school.
The school can enter no more than two prints and two projected images from any one student.
There are six categories, each with a print and projected section:
1. ARCH – Architecture (1 print and 1 projected image allowed in each section)
2. PORA - People or Animals (1 print and 1 projected image allowed in each section)
3. SCAP – Scapes (1 print and 1 projected image allowed in each section)
4. PJOU – Photojournalism (1 print and 1 projected image allowed in each section)
5. CCHOI – Color Photographer’s Choice (2 prints and 2 projected images allowed in each section)
6. MCHOI – Monochrome Photographer’s Choice (2 prints and 2 projected images allowed in each section)
ARCHITECTURE – ARCH:Architecture can be a building, bridge, ruins, or structure of any type. This category also includes any part of a structure, such as windows, doors, roofs, stairways, towers, domes, and walls.PEOPLE OR ANIMALS – PORA:In this category an individual or group of people or animals, or combination of both, is acceptable. Animals may include pets, birds, fish, reptiles, or insects.SCAPES – SCAP:A “scape” is a broad, scenic image of the land, wetlands, water, city, sea, or sky.PHOTOJOURNALISM – PJOU:A photojournalism image depicts a story or news item and generally deals with current events, human interest, sports, weather events, or disasters. Note: In this category only, the image cannot be manipulated.COLOR PHOTOGRAPHER’S CHOICE – CCHOI:The choice category includes photos of any subject. The use of any creative photographic technique, photo manipulation, or software is acceptable. Photos in the color choice category must include at least two colors. Note: A monochrome image shall not be submitted in this color choice category.MONOCHROME PHOTOGRAPHER’S CHOICE – MCHOI:The choice category includes photos of any subject. The use of any creative photographic technique, photo manipulation, or software is acceptable. Photos in the monochrome choice category must include only one color. Generally “black and white” images are submitted to the monochrome choice category, but an “all-sepia” tone image or an image of only one color is also acceptable. Note: A monochrome image with any added color should be submitted to the color choice category.
Download these definitions - pdf
- File size and naming requirements
- The print shall be no smaller than 5” X 7” and no larger than 9” X 12”, either with a border or without borders.
- The print must be un-mounted.
- The print must have a title; “untitled” or numbering for identification is unacceptable.
- The image’s longest dimension should range between 1500 and 2100 pixels.The file size should not exceed 2 MB (2,000 KB).
- The image format is to be “jpg”.
- The image must have a title; “untitled” or numbering for identification is not acceptable.
- For best projection, images should be saved in the “sRGB” color space.
- Titles cannot contain the following characters or else the image will be improperly processed: . , ! ( ) ‘ “ $ / ? _ A fatal error will occur if an equal sign (=) or a question mark (?) is included in the file name.
- The maximum length of the title is 25 characters, including spaces.
- Entry Steps
Updated for 2020 | Download these rules: pdf
Select Images for Entry
Each PSA Sponsor may select eight projected images and eight prints from each high school: two projected images and two prints in the Color Photographer’s Choice category, two projected images and two prints in the Monochrome Photographer’s Choice category, and one projected image and one print in each of the four remaining categories listed. See the six categories, above. Please follow size and naming requirements.
All projected images and prints must have been taken by the entrant. A student may have no more than two print and two projected entries.
Sign Appropriate Permission/Release Forms
- Students must sign the “permission to reproduce” section of the entry form.
- Parents must sign the entry form if their student is under the age of 18 years.
- A model release form must accompany any image featuring a person or persons unless it is a photojournalism shot of spot news and events. A parent must also sign if the subject is under 18 years of age.
- All entries selected from high school age students shall be submitted by the PSA Sponsor/Representative. The Sponsor shall determine how the entries are selected and the date by which the Sponsor needs the entries for submission to PSA.
- An entrant’s photographic submissions must be from only one school.
- A Best of Show plaque, a $350 award, and a PSA Youth Membership will be awarded to the photographer whose image is selected “Best of Show” from the six first place images in both the print section and the projected image section.
- $175 to the other five first place category photographers in each section.
- $50 to the six second place category photographers in each section.
- $25 to the six third place category photographers in each section.
- $25 to the three honorable mention photographers in the two “Photographer’s Choice” categories in each section.
- The six first place prints and projected images will be published in the PSA Journal and on the PSA website
- The award and accepted prints and projected images will be exhibited at the next PSA Photo Festival
- All award winners will be given a student membership in PSA which includes receiving the PSA Journal by e-mail.
- Sponsor Registration
All Chapters, Camera Clubs, Councils and Federations register prior to submitting their student print and projected images.
Sponsor Registration Form may be accessed from the Youth Showcase Entry Form
- Required Forms
Sponsor Certification Form - pdf
Projected Entry Form - pdf
Print Entry Form - pdf
Sample Model Release - pdf
Definition of each competition category: pdf
Youth Showcase Entry Rules - pdf