PID Individual Portrait Competition
✉ Mohammed Arfan Asif, APSA, MPSA·
||The PID Individual Portrait Competition is for individual PSA members and is exclusively for portraits of humans, including tasteful nudes.
Round 1 - Closes December 3
Round 2 - Closes February 11
Round 3 - Closes April 3
2020-21 PID INDIVIDUAL PORTRAIT RESULTS
2019-20 PID INDIVIDUAL PORTRAIT RESULTS
Previous years results, below
(click the button, left)
Group A: Masters: Individuals that have won several Awards and or HM's in this competition. Individuals that have shown excellent proficiency in portraiture work.
Group B: Intermediate: Individuals who have won an occasional award or hm over the past couple of years or shows proficiency in portraiture work.
Group C: Beginners: Individuals just starting to learn how to do portraits.*
The idea behind the different group levels is so no matter what level you are, you have a chance to be judged against the level of your peers. This gives everyone a better chance to win an award. This competition was founded so PSA members could grow in the area of portraiture. PSA also offers an educational program to improve your skills in Portraiture.
*New entrants when registering are asked to determine their ability in portrait work and select their appropriate group. Placement in groups is for the entire competition year, November -June. Individuals will be re-evaluated based on earned awards every year for proper group placement.
- The maker can enter two portrait images in each competition (Round).
- The same image that is both monochrome or color is considered the same image and must have the same title regardless of the processing. One may not enter this same Monochrome and Color Image in the same year.
- An image previously receiving an Award or HM in a PID Individual Portrait Competition is not eligible for entry.
- An image may only be entered once during the year. It can, however, be entered in another season, as long as it does not win a Merit or HM Award.
- The maker's name and/or image title must not be in the image area of digital file or it will be disqualified.
- Images may be altered, either electronically or otherwise, by the maker and artwork or computer graphics created by the entrant may be incorporated, if the photographic content is explicitly visible.
- Horizontal images will be no more than 1024 pixels wide or 768 pixels tall.
- Save the file in jpeg format only.
- Unless your image proportions are in the exact ratio of 4 to 3, one of these dimensions will be less than the maximum. The images will be projected as received, as long as not over the maximum.
- sRGB color space is recommended for optimum results.
- Upon uploading you will be asked to accept a release statement. Not accepting this release statement will not allow you to upload.
- This release statement is to certify:
- The uploader is the copyright holder of the image.
- The image is their original work
- The image does not infringe on the copyrights, trademarks, oral rights, rights of privacy/publicity or intellectual property rights of any person or party.
- The uploader givers permission for their award images to be displayed on the PSA's own website and Vimeo . (This is PSA’s Vimeo site and is used only to display Best of Year video presentations and is not the public Vimeo site)
- Images will not be used by PSA for any purpose other than stated above without my additional explicit written permission. The PSA will not directly or indirectly post these images on any other web sites such as social media sites without such written consent.
- A PSA Journal Model Release will be requested if PSA wishes to publish your winning image in the PSA Journal along with a request for a high resolution image. If there is no Model Release available, the image may win but the image cannot be published in the PSA Journal. For those who do not have a Model Release, a Sample Model Release Form is provided here - doc - interactive pdf
Awards for Rounds
- Ribbons will be awarded for each competition round as follows:
- Thirty Percent (30 %) Plus or Minus 1 of the entries submitted will be chosen for awards
- Awards for each round and each Group will consist of One Best of Show, Award of Merit awards and Honorable Mention awards.
Awards for End of the Year
- At the end of the year all Best of Show and Award of Merit images will be rejudged by a new set of Judges.
- In each group, Judges will choose 1 Gold, 1 Silver and1 Bronze Medal winner along with 10% HMs based on number of entries in each group.
- Medal winners will receive PID Medal awards and HM will receive PSA Honorable Ribbon Award
- End Of Year Awards will include Best Portrait of the Year chosen from the Gold Medal winners from each group. This award is a plaque with the image mounted.
- The End of Year’s, Best of Show and Medal winning images for each group will be displayed during the PSA Annual Conference
- Winning images in this competition are not considered Acceptances and therefore not eligible for Stars and ROPA qualifications
PREVIOUS YEARS COMPETITION WINNERS
2018-19 PID INDIVIDUAL PORTRAIT RESULTS
2017-18 PID INDIVIDUAL PORTRAIT RESULTS