PPD Print of the Month
Print of the Month
✉ Joseph Hearst, FPSA, PPSA·
685 Glen Road
Danville, CA 94526
The Print of the Month (POM) is a monthly print contest open to all PSA members. The POM offers an opportunity for members to have their prints critiqued by a qualified print judge as well as to evaluate their skills alongside other photographers of similar ability. Regular participation in the POM provides members with valuable information regarding what judges look for in prints and on how they can improve their photography.
The Print of the Month is published each month in the PSA Journal and linked from the following list: (rollover and click to select)
Note: results from previous years linked from bottom of this page.
2017-2018 PRINTS OF THE MONTH AND GALLERIES
2016-2017 PRINTS OF THE MONTH AND GALLERIES
Deadline: 20th of each month
Both monochrome and color prints are eligible, with separate groups for the experienced and novice photographer. The POM is both instructive and fun. The subject matter is unrestricted and the technique is of the maker's choosing.
Each month's judge is an experienced photographer and printmaker. Judges provide written comments for each print, pointing out good features, as well as areas where improvements could be made. With these helpful comments, entrants can improve their picture-taking eye and printing abilities. The contest year runs from July through June; however, members may join this activity and enter at any time during the year.
Monochrome Print (MP) and Color Print (CP): For beginning or less experienced print makers.
Star Monochrome (SM) and Star Color (SC): For advanced print makers, commercial photographers, and those with PPD star ratings.
The twelve First, Second, and Third place winners in the four groups receive certificates and these winning prints are displayed in the POM Gallery on the PSA web site. Honorable Mentions are also given. The Print of the Month is sent to the PSA Journal for publication.
- The Closing Date is the 20th of each month. Prints received after that date will be held and entered in the next month's contest.
- Entrants may enter up to four prints each month, two in a monochrome (B&W) group and two in a color group.
- The print may be either self-made, or made by a commercial laboratory.
- Prints must be unmounted and no larger than 8 1/2 x 12 inches (216 x 300mm).
- The following information must be included on the back of each print: Image title, photographer's name, address, month to be entered, and group (beginning or experienced).
- No print receiving an HM or higher in any group may be entered again into the POM. This includes new prints from the winning digital file or negative - or from another digital file or negative - that result in a print that is identical, or nearly identical, to the winning print. A print that has not received an HM or higher award is eligible for resubmission at any time for a different judge's opinion.
Conditions of Entry
Participation in POM implies agreement with the following: Prints submitted to POM may be published in the PSA Journal, included in the POM Gallery on the PSA web site, displayed at the PSA Annual Conference, and used in connection with other POM-sponsored contests.
Model Release May be Requested if winning image is a portrait and PSA wishes to publish it
For those who do not have a Model Release, Sample Model Release Form - doc
Complete one of the application forms below and send it to the POM director along with the first month's entry.
» Pictorial Print Division Print of the Month (POM) Application - US
» Pictorial Print Division Print of the Month (POM) Application - Intl
- Please package prints in an envelope labeled "DO NOT BEND" and send to the POM director. Please do not put the prints in sleeves or insert paper between prints.
- Please enclose a first class self-addressed, stamped envelope to receive the judge's evaluation. Entrants residing outside the US should send self-addressed envelopes and should include $3.00 US for postage for each month, or $20.00 for a year. Do not send by Registered or Certified mail.
- Entrants may send more than one month's prints in the same package, but be sure to indicate on each print the month entered, and enclose a self-addressed, stamped envelope for each months evaluation.
In each group in each monthly contest, the winning prints are awarded points as follows: ten points for First, eight points for Second, six points for Third, and five points for an HM. If a print does not earn any of these award points, it receives one point. Print of the Month winners are awarded one extra point. Total Points are compiled during the year (12 contests) and PPD Medals are awarded to the highest scoring entrants in each group.
2015-2016 PRINTS OF THE MONTH AND GALLERIES
2014-2015 PRINTS OF THE MONTH AND GALLERIES
2013-2014 PRINTS OF THE MONTH AND GALLERIES
2012-2013 PRINTS OF THE MONTH AND GALLERIES