PJD Photo Story Competition
PJD Photo Story
✉ Thomas J. Moorhead, APSA·
Opening date for entries: TBA
» June 1 - Photojournalism Division PJD PHOTO STORY entry deadline
Awards will be announced and presented at the PSA Conference, or mailed afterward to anyone not there.
The Photo Story Competition provides an opportunity for PSA members to develop or explore one theme or subject in a deeper, more comprehensive manner by using a series of digital images or a layout of prints.
Results (published after the PSA Conference)
Please note - no competition was held in 2016.
Eligibility & Rules
- A Digital Photo Story presents a series of images (maximum of 20), with optional text to communicate or tell a single story. No special effects are allowed. The script shall indicate the image number to which each sentence is tied and shall be mailed with the CD.
- A Multi-Media Photo Story may include music and/or narration and any number of images, but may not be longer than five (5) minutes. The maker's name must not appear within, but should be labeled on the submitted disc. (All music must be royalty free. Log in and see Royalty Free Music in Members Only area for suggested sources. Essays that do not follow the music guidelines found on this page are not eligible for this contest. ) It is judged primarily for story line as well as presentation, enhanced by layout, the size and prominence of key images, the juxtaposition of close-ups and long shots and of verticals and horizontals, the use of space, and the overall composition.
- A Print Photo Story may include a minimum of three (3) and a maximum of eight (8) individual prints, mounted on a board no larger that 16x20 inches. Captions and text, not to exceed 200 words, may be provided to enhance the story line and need not necessarily be tied to an individual image. It is judged on the overall impact of the total presentation
- A Photo Book shows a series of images, with text interspersed. Maximum of 25 pages. It is judged on the story line and overall impact of the total presentation.
- The name and contact information of the entrant must be submitted with the entry but may not appear on the judged part of the entry. Entries must be mailed in time to reach the director before the deadline of Sept 1, 2018.
- Each entrant may enter up to two (2) stories in each of the four (4) sections. No photo story may be entered that has won an award in a previous PJ Photo Story Competition. A photo story may not be entered more than twice in the same format. A specific essay or travelette may be submitted to only one PSA division each year. The same essay or travelette may be submitted to another division's essay competition in another year.
- All electronic entries (CD, DVD or flash drive) shall require no special software to be viewed.
- A gold medal is presented to the best Photo Story and a silver medal is awarded in each section, one for the runner-up in the section from which the gold came and silver medals for the best entry in each of the other sections. HM ribbons are presented based on the number of entries and the discretion of the judges.
- All Award winning stories will receive four acceptance credits and two title credits for stars 1-5, including Honorable Mentions in Photojournalism.
- Acceptance credits and title credits can be used towards Photojournalism Galaxy levels 1-10 as one title accepted three times, subject to galaxy rules.
- Acceptance and title credits are not eligible for Diamond Levels in Photojournalism.
- PSA Who's Who credit is not earned with acceptances from the Photo Story Competition
This competition is open to individual members of PSA. Send story boards, books, and CD/DVD/flash drives to the Director: Tom Moorhead, 13151 Walden Road, Apt. 168-F, Montgomery TX 77356-5385 USA. All entries from one member should be mailed together in one package, in plenty of time to arrive before the deadline. For each entry enclose a sheet with the following information:
- Title of entry and category (Digital-20, Multi-media, Print, or Book)
- Name of entrant and PSA membership number
- Address, phone number and email address
- A signed acknowledgment that you have read and agree with the Data Protection statement
DATA PROTECTION: By enrolling in this competition, you are explicitly consenting to the personal details you have supplied, including email addresses, being held, processed and used by the competition organizers for purposes associated with this competition. You also explicitly consent to such information being sent to organizations that have accorded official recognition, patronage or accreditation to this competition. You acknowledge and accept that entering this competition means that the status and results of your entry may be made public.