PID Audio Visual Contest
Audio Visual Contest Director
✉ Ann Alimi·
The PID Audio Visual Contest is for digital shows of still images and/or video taken by PSA members. An essay must have a theme or storyline. Text, music, sound effects, still images, video clips, narration, transitions, drone/GoPro stills and video, and digital special effects are allowed. Essays are judged on the photography, storyline, and presentation. There are two sections: Color and Monochrome.
For More information please contact the Director.
Deadline: June 1
- Online entry only - use the Entry form and video upload area to fill out the entry form and upload your essay.
- Members can enter up to two (2) PID Audio Visual shows in each section: Color and Monochrome.
- A specific show may be submitted to only one PSA division each year.
- The Color and Monochrome Audio-Visual Contest will be judged by three different qualified judges.
- Judging criteria - Doc or PDF .
- Following the judging, entrants receive the judging results for each show entered.
- Gold (First), Silver (Second), Bronze (Third) Place medals will be awarded in each section, depending on the number of entries received.
- 10% of entries are awarded HM, depending upon sufficient number of entries received
- The Award essays are presented at the PSA Annual Conference at the PID Business Meeting which is a breakfast or luncheon meeting. Winners may just attend and not pay for the meal.
- The Award and HM essays are linked from this page on the PSA website (see above).
- By entering this contest entrants give PSA permission to show their essays at the PSA Conference and on the PSA website.
- Essays receiving a Gold, Silver, or Bronze place medal or an HM ribbon earn four (4) acceptances and two (2) title credits that can be applied to PID Star Ratings 1 to 5 Mono or Color depending on the section entered. Essays receiving a First, Second, or Third place medal or an HM ribbon earn three (3) acceptances and one (1) title credit that can be applied to PID Galaxies 1 to 10. Diamond Ratings are excluded from receiving acceptance/title credits from this contest.
Eligibility & Rules
- Essays can have a maximum running time of no more than five (5) minutes.
- There are no restrictions on the subject matter, content, or special effects.However, a video may be removed by the Director if considered inappropriate for a general audience.
- For Color essays, monochrome images can make up no more than 5% of the show.
- For Monochrome shows, color images can make up no more than 5% of the show.
- For Color and Monochrome shows, video clips can make up no more than 40% of the show.
- Photos or art not made by the entrant (for example, photos of historical persons, photos of the earth from space, historical photos of buildings or maps, etc., needed to tell the story) can comprise no more than 10% of the show.
- Recommended show size is 1920 x 1080 resolution (super HD video).
- File format must be mp4 (if available: html5, H.264), mov, or avi). No proprietary file format of a video editing software program is allowed. PowerPoint (ppt), Keynote (key), or Executable (exe) files must be converted to acceptable file formats.
- The entrant's name may not appear in any way that is obvious to the judging panel.
- Permitted music is music that follows Internet copyright laws allowing it to be played on websites. This is the only type of music that will be accepted in this competition. Any entrant submitting an essay that does not follow copyright laws will have their essay disqualified or rejected. See Guidelines on Royalty Free Music in the Photo Show Music Guidelines. Entrant will be informed if there is a problem with the music. Music credits must appear at the end of the essay.
- Recommended music sites are listed in MyPSA. Members already logged in can reach the Photo Show Music Guidelines page directly.
Ann Alimi is available to help PSA members with advice on creating an Audio-Visual show. Contact Ann by clicking her name at the top of this page.