PJD Photo Story Competition
PJD Photo Story
✉ Walter R. Centeno, PPSA·
Opening date for entries: June 1
Competition Deadline: September 15
Awards will be announced and presented at the PSA Conference, or mailed afterward to anyone not there.
The Photo Story Competition provides an opportunity for PSA members to develop or explore one theme or subject in a deeper, more comprehensive manner by using a series of digital images or a layout of prints.
Results (published after the PSA Conference)
Please note - no competition was held in 2016.
Eligibility & Rules
- A Digital Photo Story presents a series of images (maximum of 20), with optional text to communicate or tell a single story. No special effects are allowed. The script shall indicate the image number to which each sentence is tied and shall be mailed with the CD.
- A Multi-Media Photo Story may include music and/or narration and any number of images, but may not be longer than five (5) minutes. The maker's name must not appear within, but should be labeled on the submitted disc. (All music must be royalty free. Log in and see Royalty Free Music in Members Only area for suggested sources.) It is judged primarily for story line as well as presentation, enhanced by layout, the size and prominence of key images, the juxtaposition of close-ups and long shots and of verticals and horizontals, the use of space, and the overall composition.
- A Print Photo Story may include a minimum of three (3) and a maximum of eight (8) individual prints, mounted on a board no larger that 16x20 inches. Captions and text, not to exceed 200 words, may be provided to enhance the story line and need not necessarily be tied to an individual image. It is judged on the overall impact of the total presentation
- A Photo Book shows a series of images, with text interspersed. Maximum of 25 pages. It is judged on the story line and overall impact of the total presentation.
- The name and contact information of the entrant must be submitted with the entry but may not appear on the judged part of the entry. Entries must be mailed in time to reach the director before the deadline of Sept 1, 2017.
- Each entrant may enter up to two (2) stories in each of the four (4) sections. No photo story may be entered that has won an award in a previous PJ Photo Story Competition. A photo story may not be entered more than twice in the same format. A specific essay or travelette may be submitted to only one PSA division each year. The same essay or travelette may be submitted to another division's essay competition in another year.
- A gold medal is presented to the best Photo Story and a silver medal is awarded in each section, one for the runner-up in the section from which the gold came and the other sliver medal for the best entry in the other section. HM ribbons are presented based on the number of entries and the discretion of the judges.
- All Award winning stories will receive four acceptance credits and two title credits for stars 1-5, including Honorable Mentions in Photojournalism.
- Acceptance credits and title credits can be used towards Galaxy levels 1-5 as one title accepted three times in Photojournalism.
- Acceptance and title credits are not eligible for Galaxy Levels 6 and higher in Photojournalism.
- PSA Who's Who credit is not earned with acceptances from the Photo Story Competition
Complete and submit one online Entry Form for each entry and/or mail a sheet including that information with your entry. Send story boards, books, CD and/or DVD entries to the Director: Walter Centeno, 518 Scout Drive, Mount Juliet, TN 37122-6168. All entries from one member should be mailed together in one package, in plenty of time to arrive before the deadline.
» PJD - Photo Story competition Entry form - due September 15: Interactive Web Page
This competition is open to individual members of PSA. A PSA membership number is required when entering. Complete one entry form for each Photojournalism Photo Story being submitted.