PSA's Bylaws & Mission
The Associated Camera Clubs of America (ACCA) was formed in 1919, and became the Photographic Society of America (PSA) by name change in 1934. The first PSA Bylaws were finalized in 1935, and the Society became a nonprofit corporation when it filed Articles of Incorporation with the Illinois Secretary of State in 1937.
In 1942, PSA applied for and received its exemption from US income tax under the US Internal Revenue Code, which is now Section 501(c)3 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986. PSA is a publicly supported organization, with gift deductible status.
PSA Headquarters moved from Philadelphia to Oklahoma City in 1988, and applied for and received its Certificate of Authority to transact business in the State of Oklahoma, and maintains its status as an Illinois nonprofit corporation. The Articles of Incorporation were amended in 2010 and the bylaws were last amended and restated in 2015.
The PSA Bylaws
(pdf) provide the rules by which the Society is governed. They give the organization its structure, guide its operations, and begin with the mission statement for the Society.
PSA was founded to "Promote the Arts and Sciences of Photography." In April 2010 the PSA Strategic Planning Committee expanded the original mission and developed the present PSA Mission Statement which was then approved by the Board of Directors and incorporated in the Bylaws. This Mission Statement has a prominent place on the PSA web site homepage and is included below. The PSA Mission guides all the programs, services, and activities of PSA.
- The Photographic Society of America (PSA) promotes the art and science of photography as a means of communication, image appreciation, and cultural exchange.
- PSA provides education, information, inspiration, and opportunity for all persons interested in photography.
- The Society fosters personal growth and expression, creativity, excellence, and ethical conduct in all aspects of photographic endeavor.