PTD Photo Travel Essay Competition (Digital Only)
Formerly called the Travelette Competition
PTD Photo Travel
Judy Burr, APSA, EPSA
Entry Deadline: August 1
There is only one category this year in this competition. Essays can be in color, monochrome or mixed. Short video clips are permitted but must not dominate the essay. There are no geographical limitations.
To enter a 20-image essay without music, spoken words or special effects, see the PTD Mini-Essay Competition
Award Winning Videos
Select the year (below) to view the video
- Best of Show—best of all essays submitted.
- Other awards and Honorable Mentions will be determined by the total number of entries.
- The Best of Show winner will be posted on the PSA website.
- All award winners receive four (4) acceptance credits and two (2) title credits in Photo Travel, up to and including star 5. For Galaxies 1 through 5, winners can apply for one (1) title credit with three (3) acceptances.
Eligibility & Rules
- All entrants must be individual members of PSA in good standing.
- Entrants can submit more than one essay.
- The maker’s name may not appear in the essay, but name and show title must be on the disc submitted.
- All images must be made in a camera by the entrant or scanned from the maker’s own transparencies or negatives.
- No show may be longer than 5 minutes and may include short video clips which do not dominate, music and/or narration.
- The use of copies of photographs or artwork is permitted if they are a small portion of the show and help tell the story.
- Submission may be on a CD or DVD. Contact the Director about submitting using Dropbox or similar method.
- The preferred format is mp4. (See Suggestions and Guidelines for Photo Travel Essays) (doc).
- No .exe or .ppt files may be submitted.
- Photographs must meet the Photo Travel Definition* as a whole, but individual pictures such as close-ups of people or objects can be included if they do not dominate the essay.
- The Photo Travel Definition will be read to the judges prior to judging.
- Music must be in the public domain (no copyright), royalty free, or the maker must have a license to use it. This must be certified in the entry form.
Download and complete one entry form (available as a PDF or Word doc) for each travel essay submitted. A completed entry form is required for each CD/DVD. It is best to send all your entries together. Mailing instructions can be found at the bottom of the entry form.
» Photo Travel Essay competition Entry Form - due August 1: Document
*Photo Travel Definition: A Photo Travel image must express the feeling of a time and place, and portray a land, its distinctive features or culture in its natural state. There are no geographical limitations. Close-up pictures of people or objects must include distinguishable environment. Techniques that add to, relocate, replace or remove any element of the original image, except by cropping, are not permitted. All adjustments must appear natural. Conversion to full monochrome is acceptable. Derivations including infrared are unacceptable.