PID Individual Portrait Competition
✉ Susan Cowles, APSA, EPSA
||The PID Individual Portrait Competition is for individual PSA members and is exclusively for portraits of humans, including tasteful nudes.
Deadlines for the 4 rounds (for 2016-17 competition):
Round 1 - Opens October 25, Closes November 25
Round 2 - Opens January 25, Closes February 25
Round 3 - Opens March 25, Closes April 25
Round 4 - Opens May 25, Closes June 25
2016 PID INDIVIDUAL PORTRAIT RESULTS
2015 PID INDIVIDUAL PORTRAIT RESULTS
Previous years results, below
(click the button, left)
NEW: Entry Levels
Step 1: Level A - for people entering for the first time and beginners
Step 2: Level B - for beginners also. Because of the number of beginners and first time entrants, beginners were divided into two sections. A & B.
Step 3: Level C - for Intermediate members that have won an occasional award or HM over the past couple of years.
Step 4: Level D - for the Masters who have won several Awards and HM’s.
With four levels, there are more chances for entrants to win. The same level must be used for all four round of a season's competition. At Competition Season's end, level adjustments will be made depending upon Awards and HM’s received.
Eligibility & Rules
- An entrant can enter two portrait images in each competition (Round).
- An image previously receiving an Award or HM in a PID Individual Portrait Competition is not eligible for entry.
- An image may only be entered once during the year. It can, however, be entered in another season, as long as it does not win an Award or HM.
- Maximum image width (horizontal) is 1024 pixels. Maximum image height (vertical) is 768 pixels. Images should be saved as jpg files.
- The maker's name and/or image title must not be in the image area of digital file or it will be disqualified.
- By virtue of submitting an entry, the entrant certifies the work as his/her own and permits PSA to reproduce all or part of the entered material free of charge for publication and/or display in media related to the competition. This may include low resolution posting on a web site. The competition assumes no liability for any misuse of copyright.
- Images may be altered, either electronically or otherwise, by the maker and artwork or computer graphics created by the entrant may be incorporated, if the photographic content predominates.
Ribbons will be awarded for each competition (Round) as follows: First, Second, Third, Best Female, Best Male, Best Child, Best Indoor, Best Environmental, Best Monochrome, three (3) Judges Choices, and HM's.
The number of Awards and HMs will be determined by the number of entries.
At the end of the year all Award and HM images will be judged for the Best Portrait of the Year. There will also be a Best of the Year Award for Best Female, Best Male, Best Child, Best Indoor, Best Environmental, and Best Monochrome Portrait for each level (A, B, C, D)
The Best of the Portraits Competition results will be shown during the PSA Annual Conference and the awards will be presented at the PID meeting during the PSA Annual Conference.
Basic Guidelines for Operating PSA Division Competitions
(pdf) - Contains information for Directors of PSA Individual and Interclub Competitions.
PREVIOUS YEARS COMPETITION WINNERS
2014 PID INDIVIDUAL PORTRAIT RESULTS
2013 PID INDIVIDUAL PORTRAIT RESULTS